|Basic Search||Advanced Search||Online Archives||Help|
|Item type||Location||Collection||Call Number||Vol Info||Status||Date Due|
|Archive Request||Archival Reading Room||Manuscript Collection||Z/2271.000/F/Folder 1||Folder 1||Available|
This collection consists of a photocopy of an original David Hunt letter dated February 2, 1831. It was written from Jefferson County, Mississippi, and discusses cotton-bale sales and three notes executed to Mr. Dunbar. The original Hunt letter, which is privately owned, is in poor condition.
Cite as: Z/2271.000: Hunt (David) Letter.
On October 22, 1779, David Hunt was born at Ringoes, near Trenton, Hunterdon County, New Jersey. After the death of his father, Jonathan Hunt, in 1801, David Hunt moved to Natchez, Adams County, Mississippi Territory, to work for his uncle, Abijah Hunt, in the mercantile firm of Hunt and Smith. David Hunt married Mary Calvit on December 18, 1808. She was the daughter of Thomas and Zelpha Calvit of Calviton Plantation in Jefferson County, Mississippi. Mary Calvit Hunt died on July 1, 1810, and was interred in the family cemetery at Calviton Plantation. The Hunts’ daughter, Mary, died on August 11, 1811, and was interred near her mother. Abijah Hunt was killed in a duel with George Poindexter, on June 8, 1811. David Hunt then purchased the financial interests of his uncle’s other heirs. He also closed the mercantile firm and invested his capital in Woodlawn Plantation on Cole’s Creek in Jefferson County. Around 1811, David Hunt married Anne Ferguson. She was the daughter of David and Jane Dunbar Ferguson of Oakley Grove Plantation in Adams County. The Hunts resided at Woodlawn Plantation where they had at least nine children: Abijah, Andrew, Catharine, Charlotte, Dunbar, Elizabeth, George F., Laura Jane, and Mary Ann. One of the founders of Oakland College, David Hunt was a trustee and patron of that Jefferson County institution for many years. He also donated land for the Presbyterian church at Rodney in Jefferson County. Hunt died at Woodlawn Plantation on May 18, 1861, and was interred in the family cemetery at Calviton Plantation.